image description

Had I not attended TCU, I am not sure that I ever would have been accepted in to dental school.  My personal relationship with the professors helped so greatly with my letter of recommendation and I was told that it was one of the best, letters they had ever reviewed.

-Kris Blodgett, D.M.D – TCU Class of 1996, Dentist in Portland, Oregon

TCU doesn't just give you the degree you need to move on, TCU gives its students an education and the promise that they will succeed.

- Hayden Fuller - TCU Class of 2012, Student at University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry

The Pre-Health Professions Team was so supportive and helpful when I was applying to medical school.  That support meant so much and helped me get accepted.

- Diane Hesselbrock, M.D. - TCU Class of 1996, Neurologist in Richmond, VA

The program has done so much to help young people achieve their goals.

- Dan Doss, D.D.S. - TCU Class of 1974, Pediatric Dentist in Fort Worth

Few Pre-Health programs can boast medical school acceptance rates in the range of 80 to 95% that have remained steady for the past ten years.

- Jim Wagner, M.D. -Associate Dean for Student Affairs, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

The leadership, mentorship, and extracurricular experience that I gained through the Pre-Health Professions Program was a distinct advantage in helping me gain admission into my first choice medical school.

- Wendy Wright Seigler, TCU Class of 1994, Medical Director of the Neuroscience Critical Care Unit at Emory University Hospital Midtown

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Pre-health and “HPAC”?

The pre-health program assists students in their preparation for health-related professional school including medical, dental, physician assistant, vet, pharmacy, optometry, and podiatry schools. HPAC stands for “Health Professions Advisory Committee” and consists of faculty from biology, chemistry, psychology and physics. Members of HPAC formally advise students every semester, conduct mock interviews, and write committee-based letters of evaluation for professional school. Pre-health does support physical, occupational or speech therapy, athletic training, or nursing. These career tracks are supported in other colleges in the University.

Can I major in pre-health?

No, this is a program that supports health-related career tracks, but pre-health not a major.

What should I major in?

You should major in a field that interests you. For most pre-health students, this is biology, biochemistry, neuroscience or chemistry. However, a few of our students major outside of the sciences. These students either double major in a non-science and a science discipline, minor in biology and/or chemistry, or just take the required pre- requisites. Typically majoring within the science subjects listed above is in your best interest. Students must show an aptitude for science and an ability to do well in rigorous classes. Majoring and doing well in the sciences makes a strong case that a student is prepared for processional school.

What is the difference between a BS and a BA degree?

The Bachelor of Science (BS) degree requires more upper-level science courses and may have associated course requirements. For example, a BS in biology requires two years of chemistry and a year of physics along with 35 hours of biology coursework. A BA in biology requires 26 hours of biology coursework and there are no associated requirements. However, a BA requires a minor and two years of equivalency in a foreign language.

Does it matter if I choose a BS vs. a BA for professional school?

No. Choose the degree that best fits you and your plans. However, make sure to check professional school pre-requisite requirements. You may need to take additional coursework beyond that required for your major.

Who is my advisor?

You can be advised by any member of HPAC. Click here for a list of HPAC members.

How does advising work at TCU?

There is official advising throughout campus once per semester for about two weeks before class registration opens. If you have freshman or sophomore status, you MUST be advised or you will have an advising hold placed on your account and you will not be able to register. Junior or Senior pre‐health students must either meet with a member of HPAC (strongly encouraged) or contact Jill ( to let her know they are still part of the program before they will be allowed to register.

How do I sign up for an official pre-health advising appointment?

Approximately 3 weeks before registration begins, Jill will send a link to a calendar with schedules for all HPAC faculty. You may sign up for any HPAC faculty member who has availability.

What should I bring to my advising appointment?

Your unofficial transcript, degree progress report and a list of classes you are thinking of taking.

Who should I be advised with if I’m in pre-health but I have a major outside of the sciences?

You must still be advised by HPAC but you should also request advising through your major department.

What if I want to meet with an advisor outside of "official" advising?

During non-official advising weeks, “walk-in advising” is available and a schedule of advisors and days/times of availability is emailed to students, posted in the office, and provided on our FB and Instagram pages.  If  “walk-in” hours conflict with a student’s class schedule, the student can email Jessica Standifer (  and she will assist him/her in making an appointment with an HPAC advisor.

Can I use my Biology AP credit?

We recommend taking the full Introductory Biology sequence at TCU. However, if a student does very well in Intro Bio I (BIOL 10504), they have the option to apply AP credit to Intro Bio II (BIOL 10514). You should talk to an HPAC advisor about the pros and cons of using AP credit for Introductory Biology.

What happens if I want to drop a class but I would fall below the minimum of 12 hours for full-time student status?

This answer depends on your financial aid. For many students, their financial aid package only requires them to have completed 24 hours by the end of the academic year. For example, if you are registered for 13 hours in the fall semester and drop a 4-hour class, you will only be registered for 9 hours (less than full-time). During spring semester, you would have to complete 15 hours to have a total of 24 hours by the end of the year. Residence halls at TCU require you to maintain at least 9 hours per semester to live there. Some fraternities/sororities require 12 hours.

When can I use P/NC?

You can use the P/NC option twice at TCU. You cannot P/NC a class that is required for your major and professional schools will not accept a P/NC for a required pre-requisite course. If you are struggling in biology/chemistry, know you want to leave the pre-health program and cannot drop a course for financial aid reasons, then P/NC will allow you to complete the course without negatively impacting your GPA. You must select this option before the P/NC deadline.

What if I want to leave the pre-health program?

Just email Jill Duncan at and inform her of your decision. You must tell Jill of your decision to leave or you will not be removed from our pre-health student group and you will not be allowed to register for classes.

More information about the most common degrees chosen by Pre-Health students


Biology Neuroscience Chemistry and Biochemistry